fbpx
en
Search
Generic filters
Exact matches only
This topic contains 1 voice and has 0 replies.
1 voice
0 replies
  • Author
      SUCULTURE
      Admin
      London, United Kingdom

Charting the music from medieval 12/13th century sub-saharan Africa to the America’s, and to Europe.

A number of instruments played a central-role in the social, ceremonial (recitations, incantations, storytelling, and historical archiving) and political lives of the Mande/Mandika people of the Malian Empire - spanning the geographical location of today's Mali, Senegal, Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Guinea-Conakry, Ivory Coast, parts of Ghana and Northern Nigeria, and beyond. 
      First, the 'Kora', a 700-year-old 21-stringed signature instrument of medieval times, with a unique traditional style, bearing the resemblance of a harp, guitar, the flamenco or Delta blues - utilising the (griot/trained) technique of plucking polyrhythmic patterns on the strings, with both hands. Second, a one-string traditional guitar called the 'njarka' or 'njurkel'. And thirdly, a stringed instrument called the 'ngoni'. Attached to this age-old tradition of music, filters influences in the origin of blues, and its influence on rock & roll. 
      This music style can be seen in Rosetta Tharpe, Kante Facelli, the Buena Vista Social Club, Jimmy Hendrix, Youssou N’Dour, Ali Farka Touré, Tinariwen, British classic rock bands such as the Rolling Stones, and onwards.

For a historical and contemporary journey through the influence of African music globally, and its influence on 'Rock n Roll' music, click on the below images.

Tinariwen:

Tinariwen | Amadjar

Ali Farka Touré:

Ali Farka Toure - Niafunke - Amazon.com Music

Jimmy Hendrix:

Jimi Hendrix Wallpapers - Wallpaper Cave

Tinariwen:

Tinariwen (+IO:I) - Nànnuflày - YouTube

Rosetta Tharpe:

Podcast #38: Sister Rosetta Tharpe – The Dead Ladies Show

Rock 'n Blues America - History:

Blues America Part 2: Bright Lights, Big City – Full Documentary – Forgotten Guitar

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

++ DSYF, by Idris Elba. ++

G-STAR x Burna Boy – On Form.

The S.M.I.L.E-ing BOYS PROJECT

The S.M.I.L.E-ing Boys Project By multidisciplinary artist Kay Rufai, is a research led mental well-being project for Black & BAME boys in London. Follow Kay Rufai on LinkedIn and @ U N I V E R S O U L A R T I S T . »

TYPHOON: DUTCH HIPHOP

More TYPHOON Music: YOUTUBE >>>